Monday, April 7, 2008

Okay, so I wasn't going to write about this because I was too embarrassed, but it will be good for my pride to have a good dose of humility so I'm going to admit what happened last week. Abby has progressed quite nicely in the potty training department to the point of squatting down and getting some results. The only problem is that I always have to remind her. If I don't, usually during the day she suddenly exclaims, "Mommy! Potty!" And I respond in eager hope and joy, "Abby, do you need to go on the potty chair?" "No," Abby says, and further probing on my part reveals that the potty has already made it's way out - and not into the potty chair. All my friends kept saying to take the pull-ups away because that was the magic cure. They'll be trained in no time, they said. It's too uncomfortable for them, they said. So I believed them. But they never trained an Abby before. The first day I had to wash two couch covers and lysol everything because Abby thought it was better to sit on the couch completely soaked than to miss her favorite Dora episode. The next day was the real kicker though. We were doing so much better the second day that I decided to go to Walmart for a few things. As I pulled her out of the car, the thought flashed through my mind that maybe the smart thing to do would be to put the pull-up back on for while we were in the store. Nonsense, I thought, she went potty right before we came. Famous last words. I walked into the store with a big S on my forehead, and about five minutes later I hear the familiar, "Mommy! Potty!" Looking into the cart confirmed my worst fear that yes, my daughter had not only soaked her pants this time, but had left a little trail in the store a few clothes racks long. I used my whole package of wipes to clean everything and everyone up, and quickly exited the area before the "Clean-Up on Aisle 10" blared out for everyone to hear. I may have gotten away with it, but the guy with the mop and bucket gave me strange look when he passed me later. Maybe he was just wondering why I chose not to let my daughter wear pants that day.

No comments: