Saturday, April 5, 2008

Hooray for Spring

I love gardening during springtime, and I especially love it in Southern California for two reasons: 1) It isn't raining all the time so you get to enjoy it, and 2) It's kind of the calm before the storm when the summer heat hits in full force. Abby and I go outside when Jack takes his morning nap, and we turn into pro gardeners for an hour. I always hoped my kids would like being outside as much as I do, but I didn't realize that I was maybe a little too successful with Abby when she wanted to go outside and dig the plants up. Not content to just weed, she wanted to uproot something. Guess I better start leaving the plants where they are and stop moving them around so much. Our current projects include watering the orange tree by the front door, and waiting for it to produce oranges.

Jack still can't crawl yet, which is just fine with me, and makes up for it by being so cute. Abby declined to hold him today citing that he was too heavy, and chose to just sit next to him and rub his head. She gets on the floor with him when we give him "belly time" and shows him how easy it is to roll over - as encouragement. They are quite peaceable together most of the time, and the harmony is only broken when Jack gets close enough to pull her hair or when Abby thinks Jack doesn't need the toy he's currently playing with.

That's kind of a normal day for us during this spring season. I hope yours is just as enjoyable.

No comments: