Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thankfulness

What am I thankful for? I found myself asking that question tonight, as we had testimony and praise time at our church for evening service. So many things - the major ones jumping to my head immediately: God, husband, kids, family, church, living in America, etc. I don't have anything else profound to add to that list actually, and even if I kept thinking about this topic for hours on end, I probably wouldn't come up with anything clever or unique to bless or encourage you. However, I think that I am finally beginning to grasp that I really don't deserve any of those things. I deserve hell. And I have heaven. And a lot of other things. It is simply because of God's grace that I have anything at all. I am a good person, but I am still a sinner. Sinners do not deserve anything from God. But He has given me everything. My being a good person does not earn extra gifts from God, because I live in His Grace and not in my own good merit.

So, this thanksgiving I hope to keep this in mind, and know that however long or short my list of things to be thankful turns out, all of them are undeserved gifts from God.

No comments: